Windows key often serves as an important shortcut key to perform functions. Some of the shortcut combinations that I quite often use are â€˜Win + Lâ€™ to lock the PC while I step out and â€˜Win + Dâ€™ to view the desktop.
But Windows key is a nightmare for PC gamers as windows key lie between some of the most widely used keys for gaming and accidentally pressing the windows key while playing can ruin the gaming experience by jumping out to the desktop and opening the start menu. The best way to avoid this is to disable the windows key.
So, how to disable Windows Key?
1) Goto Start -> Run and Type Regedit and press Enter (In Vista, type Regedit in Search Box under Start)
2) Browse to ‘My Computer\ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Control\ Leyboard Layout‘
3) On the right hand side pane, right click and move over ‘NEW‘ and Click ‘Binary Value‘
4) This would have created a new entry with the name ‘New Value #1‘ with Type ‘REG_BINARY‘ and Data as zero-length binary value.
5) Right Click ‘New Value #1′ and rename it to ‘Scancode Map‘
6) Right Click again and click â€˜Modify Binary Dataâ€™ and enter ‘00000000000000000300000000005BE000005CE000000000‘
7) Close everything and restart your computer.
If for some reason you badly wanted your windows key to work, just delete the new entry you made right now in the registry editor.